Concepts for a Regional Hydrogen Economy
Project Duration: 01.09.2019 – 31.07.2021In the project HyStarter nine regions are supported in raising awareness about hydrogen and in the initial organization of an actor landscape. Together with the consortium of Spilett new technologies GmbH, Choice, Becker Büttner Held Consulting, Energy Engineers and the RLI, they are developing ideas for the implementation of hydrogen in the regional energy, transport and heating sectors. The HyStarter project is part of the funding initiative "HyLand - Hydrogen Regions in Germany" of the BMVI.
During the project, several stakeholder dialogues will be held with the regions, which aim to develop individual hydrogen concepts. The creation of the hydrogen concepts has various challenges that will be addressed together with the consortium. For this purpose, the regions were divided into categories:
- Coastal land / Wind energy (Rügen-Stralsund)
- Structural Change / Energy (Lusatia)
- Industry / Automotive (Reutlingen)
- Metropolitan Region / Mobility (Kiel)
- Education / Knowledge transfer (Weimar and Marburg)
- Medium-sized region (Allgäu and Landkreis Schaumburg)
- Border region / European network (Neustadt a. d. Waldnaab)
In the second step, the concept will be examined by means of a model-based analysis for its macroeconomic and ecological effects and open design questions will be answered via optimization algorithms.
The third step is to break down the macroeconomic effects of the concept on a sector-by-sector basis in order to identify potential winners and losers in the concept and, if necessary, to develop compensation mechanisms. Furthermore, a first regulatory assessment of the concept should be carried out in order to identify any regulatory obstacles or opportunities and to develop strategies for action.
Finally, in the fourth step, the appraised and possibly optimized concept is transferred back to the dialogue process of the local actors in order to develop a common action path (roadmap).
More info is available on the project website (in German).
In this project, the RLI analyzes the economic and environmental impacts of the hydrogen concepts:
- For each region, mapping the selected concept idea into a region-specific simulation model
- For each region simulative evaluation according to economic and ecological parameters of the concept idea as well as answering open design questions about optimization algorithms (€ total, €/year, €/CO2 avoided)
- Spilett new technologies GmbH
- Becker Büttner Held Consulting
- Energy Engineers