FOSS4G Conference 201829. August 2018
5.–7.9. | EnviroInfo 20183. September 2018
Project duration: March - June 2018
In this project, an e-mobility concept for the municipal energy supplier (Stadtwerke) and the city administration of the city of Trier was developed in cooperation with the University of Trier.
In 2019, Stadtwerke Trier will relocate its headquarters to a newly built energy and technology park. This is to be equipped with a charging infrastructure that allows to gradually electrify the fleet of municipal utilities and also offers the staff’s private electric vehicles charging opportunities during working hours. To achieve this, an e-mobility concept was to be designed and the requirements for the charging infrastructure in the technology park calculated.
These tasks were taken over by students of the University of Trier in the course "Smart Grid in Building and Distribution Networks" under the direction of Professor Jochen Bühler in the summer semester of 2018. The RLI supported the students and provided calculation tools.
The students of the University of Trier worked on the following tasks in the course:
- Creation of a project plan
- Registration of the fleet of the Stadtwerke and the city administration
- Evaluation of the log books
- Analysis of the potential for the electrification of vehicles
- Determination of the required grid connection services
- profitability analysis
- Determine CO2 savings
RLI assumed the the following responsibilities in the project:
- Implementation of an introductory event
- Provision of calculation tools to analyze the potential for fleet electrification and economical interpretation
- Assistance to students by weekly office hours
- Plausibility check of the results
- The project work in cooperation with the students of Trier University of Applied Sciences was successfully completed. The fixed time windows in which RLI supported the students allowed them to share progress and solve problems together.
- With the tools provided by RLI, the students were able to answer the questions of the Stadtwerke Trier and develop recommendations for action
- The integration of electric vehicles in the vehicle fleet was evaluated as economically viable. Due to pooling measures, the city vehicle fleet could be reduced by three cars. The Stadtwerke’s fleet was reduced by 13 out of 84 vehicles. The results showed further, that all vehicles in the city fleet can be replaced by electric vehicles. Out of the remaining 71 vehicles of the Stadtwerke vehicle fleet, 48 vehicles are up for electrification.