30.04. | Online-Conference “vEGU21”30. April 2021
In the HyExpert-project "H2 model region Saarland", a concept for the future use of hydrogen is being developed for the German state of Saarland. The RLI supports the consortium of 23 partners from the industry, mobility, and energy sectors with its scientific expertise in cooperation with IAV
. The project is coordinated by the Saarland Ministry of Economics, Labor, Energy, and Transport (MWAEV).
HyLand initiative calls for hydrogen projects nationwide
Saarland is one of 13 winning regions in the HyLand – Hydrogen Regions in Germany
competition organized by the German Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure (BMVI). The HyExpert regions were each provided with up to a maximum of 300,000 euros from this program to develop hydrogen concepts with a variety of concrete project ideas. Among other things, Saarland is planning concepts for the expansion of hydrogen fueling stations, for use in rail transport and local public transport, in the energy sector, and in the industrial sector. The aim is to estimate the future demand for hydrogen in the state and bring it into line with generation possibilities.
Hydrogen potential in all sectors
RLI is providing scientific advice on the project, including data, simulations, and optimizations for hydrogen plants to support the various stakeholders. This includes, for example, the study of rail transport and its potential for hydrogen. In addition, the possibilities of supplying fuel cell buses with hydrogen are analyzed and a conversion of the vehicle fleet is planned, as well as the technical-economical possibilities of use in combined heat and power plants are examined using the example of concrete plants. The use of hydrogen in the steel industry could also be particularly interesting for Saarland in order to decarbonize this important industrial sector. Another overarching project goal is to ensure the transferability of all results of the project.
RLI helps prepare implementation phase
In addition to these research tasks, the RLI also supports the Saarland MWAEV in network facilitation and coordination, for example by planning and organizing workshops with all participating partner institutions involved and keeping in touch with the individual working groups in the project. At the end of the project, an implementation strategy will be developed, with which Saarland could potentially qualify for the next round in the BMVI's HyLand program and thus start the actual implementation of the projects.
Project duration: October 2020 – September 2021
In the HyExpert Saarland project, RLI assumes the following tasks:
- Supporting the Saarland Ministry of Economic Affairs, Labor, Energy and Transport in planning and conducting network meetings, workshops, and working group meetings
- Supporting network facilitation, advising the ministry, and developing an agenda for the consortium
- Development of the implementation strategy
- Comparative overview research for the status quo in rail transport
- Investigation and comparison of depot supply for fuel cell buses
- Design of hydrogen refueling stations for public transport
- Neutral expertise for the development of refueling infrastructure
- Identifying the opportunities for decarbonization of the steel industry
- Testing the acquisition of electrolyzers by industrial companies and quantifying synergy effects