Fleet analysis and charging infrastructure planning for the city of Witten
Project duration: September – December 2018
RLI is developing an e-mobility concept for the city of Witten as part of an implementation counseling. The aim is to help the city to convert its municipal vehicle fleet to electric vehicles. For this purpose, the mobility behavior of the city administration’s employees is analyzed, potentials for savings through sustainable mobility options are identified, and a framework for implementation, in particular the procurement of vehicles and planning of charging infrastructure, is developed. Approaches that include the shared use of vehicles will also be taken into account.
For the city of Witten, the feasible e-mobility potential is to be identified. Methods and instruments will be used that were developed within the framework of a previous research project.
© Image: RLI, OpenStreetMap Contributors
The e-mobility concept is being developed in three phases:Phase 1
- Determination of the mobility needs of the city administration’s employees
- Analysis of the current fleet capacity and utilization
- Determination of the requirements for the electrified fleet
- Examination of potentials to replace parts of the fleet by electrically operated carsharing systems and/or (cargo) bikes
- Procurement of electric vehicles: Advice on vehicle types
- Charging infrastructure planning: Optimum location distribution of charging points in Witten